Thursday, August 30, 2012

Blue Moon

I felt it would be fitting to post this portrait during the glow of the second Blue Moon.

Earlier this month, I had an assignment that required me to incorporate my figure into a natural setting as Ana Mendieta would have done. As fate would have it, this assignment happened to fall right in the midst of the first Blue Moon. How convenient?! Being that I am a little crazy for side profiles, archery, & moonlight, the setting and pose was easily established. Although I wasn't sure how my camera would be able to capture the moon. Turns out that you can't even tell THERE IS A MOON with my camera. Thankfully, Melinda (who was also the patient photographer as I barely balanced on the top panel of a bench whilst attempting to hold a right handed bow) suggested that I add the moon afterwards in photoshop.

I really wanted to emphasize the idea that the image was taken during the Blue Moon.

If you are like me, you may have lived the majority of your life thinking that "Blue Moon" was just a cliche song commonly sung by the Ned Flanders of this world.

Or maybe you thought it was just an ice cream flavour only eaten by hyper little kids who think gum crammed into ice cream is THE MOST BRILLIANT IDEA EVER!!!!...

Or to you, Blue Moon is just a colourful name for a brand of beer...

Or an overused idiom to express a rare occasion...

But this August, I learned that it is actually the term used when there are two full moons in the same month. (Where have I been, right?) We were able to revel in the gorgeous light of the moon on several occasions. Hasn't it been divine?

Does anyone else find it interesting that the first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong passed away during a Blue Moon month?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...