Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thieves Break In And Steal

The internet has been set ablaze with news pertaining to the latest scandal.

A necklace from the Titanic exhibit has been stolen.

Based on the article I read, the necklace was worn by survivor-Eleanor Widener of Philadelphia. She was travelling with her husband, George and their son, Harry. But the males of her family would be listed among the deceased that fateful April night. There was a story that her son would have survived, but as he was getting into the lifeboat, he took it upon himself to preserve a rare edition of "Bacon's Essay's" (1598) which had been left behind in his cabin. He got out to fetch it. When he returned, all the lifeboats were gone. "The boats are gone!"
When I searched Titanic necklace, part of me wanted it to be Le Coeur De La Mer - The Heart of the Ocean, but that didn't really exist in the first place and even if it did, the late Rose Dewi--I mean--Dawson plopped it over board while she was sleepwalking. (Has anyone else ever noticed how odd it is that she brought her collection of photographs with her and had to be surrounded by them whilst she slept? Can't you just hear her? "Set my pictures up! NOW! I cannot sleep until a boat-load of snapshots that have been taken from every era of my life are arranged nicely beside my bed!"

Ah, but this is not the time to be bashing Titanic. I actually love that movie, but this post is more about the art of thievery.

I really hope Catherine Zeta and Sean Connery were involved in this heist. Even if they weren't, I hope somebody at least had to perform an intense maneuver through a field of lasers in order to reach the modest necklace.

Though modest and valued at $20,000, it is priceless because of its history. If it is ever recovered, it may have a more notable reputation like the Leonardo Da Vinci's Mona Lisa (1911), or Edvard Munch's The Scream (1994). I believe they have both been stolen and retrieved, yet I wonder if they were as notorious, and widely acclaimed prior to being abducted.

Is it just me or does anyone else have an urge to watch The Thomas Crown Affair?
Of course all of this reminds me of an incident. six years ago when one of the 5 pairs of original ruby slippers were on display at The Judy Garland Museum in Grand Rapids, MN.  I visited the museum that summer because I was in a local production of The Wizard of Oz and thought it would be fun to take a day trip to Dorothy's home town. They have this festival called Judy Garland Days. It's great! There we met the remaining munchins at a Munchin brunch and skipped down the yellow brick road. I had my picture taken with Jerry Maren of the Lollipop Guild. and Margaret O' Brien from Meet Me In St. Louis. Tootie! True Story.We saw a matinee of The Wizard of Oz on the big screen (which was worth the entire trip for me!)  Then we all posed for a group picture with the Ruby Slippers.

Those slippers were stolen shortly after our visit and as of 2011 have still not been recovered.

I just want to know, why is this girl holding a shoe to her head?!?
Do you have any theories as to what happened to the slippers? Do you know of any other artifacts or works of art that have been ransacked? What comes to mind?

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I actually read it out loud to one of my friends. Very interesting! :) To answer your question, I have heard it! It actually inspired the post title.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...