Monday, February 3, 2014

Arch House in Chippenham, Wiltshire


It is best that I warn you before you scroll through this post. You need to realise a few things before you read on.

  1. I would never consider myself a photographer. I just take loads of pictures.
  2. I was not able to show photographic restraint when I visited the sleepy village of Chippenham, North Wiltshire, nor am I able to refrain from sharing all these pictures on LaPine Design. Therefore, you will be forced to see this so called "load of pictures" if you decide to proceed.

If you are brave enough to continue to read on, you will be experiencing the overwhelming enthusiasm of this self-professed, Anglophile as she traveled through an English countryside alone.

 Can you tell what year I was in? Neither could I.




 I took a wrong turn near this Morton-esque gate. My "sat-nav" had completely ceased giving directions, but I still was not sure of my destination. I ended up intruding on a farm that could have only been the setting of a James Herriot story. The sheep and one-eyed barn cats stared me down until I went on my way.
As a rule, I would like to see more moss, less snow where I live.
...and if I'm making requests, we need more sculpted shrubbery.
 Eventually, The Bed and Breakfast I had reserved was just around the corner. Sweet tranquility. Based on the order of pictures, I must have dropped my luggage off and took a turn around the nearby church on foot.


 This church was used in the BBC's 2008 version of "Tess of The D'Ubervilles" starring Gemma Arterton and Eddie Redmayne. The hosts of my idyllic B&B told me about their encounter with the actors and proudly showed me the autographs that they collected. Apparently Eddie as Angel, rode his horse over the hill just beyond the church and Gemma filmed the scene where she buries her precious Sorrow in an unmarked grave at this location.




 Look at this dopey American taking pictures of herself in the middle of the graveyard. It sometimes embarrasses me to think of how many "selfies" I took, but then I want to remember that I was experiencing this moment and when you travel by yourself, you aren't left with many options. I did meet a man at the gate who had a chip in his eye glasses. He was the only soul I encountered as I walked the pavement. I suppose I could have asked him to take a picture for me. That would have been strange too, I suppose.

 In true English fashion it was raining. I honestly didn't mind it, but I think I was also very thankful to seek shelter in this vestibule for a few minutes.





 This is the hill I referred to earlier.
 Obviously, the Forgotten Garden lies just beyond this door.


 I actually had difficulty getting out of this graveyard. Oddly enough, that wasn't my first encounter being trapped in a graveyard. Thankfully an elderly gent helped me escape. There were a lot of kind gentlemen in the U.K. They were either extremely proper or angels. I can't make up my mind about it.


 This is the part of my walk where I was flooded with inspiration for future compositions.










This could have been lamp-post from Jeff Lynne's Long Wave Home album cover.








This is the lovely Arch House. I would definitely recommend it and sincerely wish I can break my journey there on another visit to the U.K. It was hosted by absolutely incredible people! So kind! Plus, they had phenomenal suggestions for me. Because of them I was able to visit Lacock Abbey, Corsham Court, Dyrham Park, and the village of Castle Combe. They gave me the nearest experience to time travel that I have ever had. Thank you, Christine & Malcolm!
They even had a jar of biscuits in my room! I felt like a Lady of Downton! Love! As you can see the jar was half-empty by the time I got around to snapping this pick. I was quite peckish.

This breakfast made me feel like a duchess! It was the perfect start to the day!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...