Thursday, June 20, 2013

Le page du Matisse

Here's another page from my Articulated Book that I worked on in Scotland. It's really nothing to write home about, but I like it...thus, I am sharing it with you all. I guess I sketched a few empty chairs in front of windows (I'll post more later). Maybe someone has a theory as to why I do that...Like in "Three Days of the Condor," Robert Redford looks at Faye Dunaway's photographs and sums her up by the subject matter she chose to shoot. Perhaps someone can tell me why I draw pictures of empty chairs infront of windows. Maybe if you paint pictures of chairs in front of windows it really means you're annoyed with your brother because he never puts his dishes in the dishwasher. Theory.
 
 
Anyways, the assignment was to paint anything in the styling of Henri Matisse. You know, lots of patterns (I really only put patterns on the mushroom pillow, so I should have failed this assignment.) 
I purposely did not pay attention to correct perspective because Matisse is kinda like that. His flower vases always look like they should fall off the table.
I really liked the colour of the chair. I wanted to jump in my painting and read a book there. I suppose that is a trait of Matisse. After all, his paintings are inviting for the most part.
 
But, I'm not going to pretend like I know everything about Matisse, because frankly, I really don't know much about him at all. I think he was french?
And I know I can usually recognise his work in a museum.
 
If I remember correctly, here is one painting of Matisse's that I saw in London at the Tate, Modern Art Museum (which I surprisingly found interesting). I used to claim Matisse as my favourite artist, but he honestly does nothing for me now. His works are interesting, but they are not evocative for me . Although, one could also say that there's nothing evocative about the chair I painted either. So, I shouldn't be so critical of other's artwork. Do you find yourself drawn towards artwork that has emotional attachment or just artwork that interesting? There's got to be several schools of thought. Do speak up.
This next one has been one of my favourites since my high school art class. I think it was on one of the art supply cupboards.

Based on these two examples of Matisse, I feel he would have liked O'Brien to model for him. What do you think?
 
 I drew this in highschool. Can you tell I was influenced by Matisse even then?  I tried to mimic Matisse even back then by trying out the two tone face on my jazz singer.
Now, here's a Matisse that I have a postcard of. The summer before my senior year in high school, my Gram and Pop-Pop took me to see the Cone Collection at the Baltimore Institute of Art. It consists of over 40 paintings by Matisse and Picasso. I didn't like Picasso back then and it's odd because I can't really say, I like Matisse now.
 
It really amazes me how our taste changes over the years. If you have a favourite artist now, has it been the same one for many years?
(Note, the flower vase in this one.)
Then again, these patterns are pretty interesting. I may have a change of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...