Sunday, May 8, 2011

Jane Eyre

She finally made it to Duluth. I actually thought I'd have to wait until the rental was available because the theatres around here like to make money and let's face it..."Prom" is going to make a heck of a lot more money in this town than some film with an actual plot that has stood the test of time . But thanks to the swanky, cultural Zinema in downtown Duluth, my friends and I were able to catch the film in all its cinematic splendor.

It was a 'beautiful, beautiful, beautiful' film. Let's just say, "Hello, Michael Fassbender."

Loved everything about it. Stand out performances on all accounts. Mia Wasikowska's portrayal of Jane Eyre was lovable and revealing. Her chemistry with Michael Fassbender as Edward Fairfax Rochester was clearly evident. I had nearly forgotten that was capable of being captured in a movie. It's been so long since I've found that believable.

Jamie Bell was dispicable which impressed me, because he's so darling in "Billy Elliot" and "Defiance". And I loved that I didn't even recognize Sally Hawkins of Persuasion fame and had completely forgotten that Dame Judi Dench is as prestigious as she is when she played the modest housemaid, Mrs. Fairfax.

Although I've never read the book (GASP) ...I know, I know (At least I've read Wuthering Heights...) I did see the last adaptation of the story that was a BBC mini-series in 2006 starring Ruth Wilson. I would have to say there were portions of that that I still prefered, but this film was quite stunning and I would definitely recommend it.

Oh, and I was just tickled by the graphic design of the poster. Such a contempory look for a classic story. Delightful juxtaposition.

What do you think about it? I would love to hear other thoughts!


 I don't know why I didn't take a picture of the Star Wars portion of this mural...that's so unlike me. I must have been distracted by the fact that the movie was so evocative.
Thank goodness for the Zinema!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...