Friday, January 20, 2012

Picasso at the LaPine Design Agile


"Something Picasso. He'll never amount to a thing, trust me." Billy Zane- Titanic

Rubber Chicken Theater has asked me to design another poster for them.  I am very thankful to have the opportunity to design again. Especially since the play for which I am designing for takes place during the Edwardian Era and was written by Steve Martin.

Ergo, win-win.
Having been separated from my computer for nearly 3 weeks, I have approached this project with suppressed anticipation.

Thus a new designer has immerged.

A new standard.

I think this may be my Jerry Maguire moment.

As Picasso had to leave his Blue Period in the dust, I too have moved on.  I hope.

From now on, I will only submit designs that I am proud of.  (I hope.)

Well, you may have thought, "Something had to have spawned this reaction." I'd like to think it was this poster.

It's an inspiration piece by aliakbar01 via Pirate Lawyer
I'm in a new mind set to treat posters as book covers.  What covers would I like to own editions of? I'm hoping this translates.

So to reiterate, I did not design this Atonement poster. I've only gawked at it....for days.



I knew that I wanted to represent the premise of the play which takes place in 1904 when Albert Einstein and Pablo Picasso happen to meet in a Parisian Bar.

My first thought was to represent one of those mirrors with the gold filligree, but I opted to create the actual bar with a wood pattern.

Here's what I came up with:

Have any of my readers seen this show? Would you mind offering suggestions to help me progress?
Do you find my poster a rip off of the Atonement design, or do you think it is okay to use it as inspiration?

2 comments:

  1. Jana, I have to say I'm very impressed by this! It's incredibly classy and eye-catching. :) Hope you're having a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Russell! That's a lot coming from you! Thanks, you have a fantastic day as well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...