Thursday, April 28, 2011

Julia Child, Eat your heart out!

I couldn't be more sarcastic. Baking is definitely not my forte. I really don't belong in the kitchen. Really. That phrase, "Too many cooks in the kitchen" came to mind several times while I attempted my latest disaster, especially when my mom was breathing down my neck. 

Better yet, do you know that scene in Sleeping Beauty when the fairies decide to make Aurora a birthday cake and one fairy (Fauna? Flora?) folds the eggs with the shell still intact into the cake batter? Well, I feel like that is exactly how I would have followed those directions. (I reference Disney movies too often, don't I?)

Anyways, all the hype around this Royal Wedding has led me to plan a Royal Wedding Viewing Party with my friend, Makayla. (Hi, Makayla!) And it was decided that we would serve traditional British desserts and hors d'œuvres...and tea, of course. Yes, and it's definitely one of those parties where fancy hats are required.
A Battenberg cake.  I thought, "Sounds British. And even if I screw it up, it will probably fall into the the "tastes British" catagory." (Don't judge me. They are notorious for having terrible food and you know it.) To find out it was created in honor for a wedding in 1884 when Queen Victoria's granddaughter wed Prince Louis of Battenberg. The four checkered squares represent the four princes of Battenberg.

Yes! Challenge accepted. Here's the link to the recipe.


So this is what it was supposed to look like:


She couldn't understand why I was in the kitchen. Abnormal behaviour alarms her.
 
 Too many lumps!
Mmm. Definitely does NOT look appetizing. Who is going to eat this?



Now this painting portion was tolerable. I could get used to this.
She was so concerned. I wasn't making coffee, so why was I still in the kitchen?!?
 Haha. So droopy. Ugh. The perfectionist in me was tempted to photoshop this to make the pink more brilliant. I should have added the entire bottle of food colouring. Ah, maybe next time...hahaha who am I kidding? This is not my territory.  Let's just hope it doesn't make anyone sick. ;)




2 hours to go until this wedding! The anticipation is killing me!

2 comments:

  1. What a neat post! Looking forward for more post from you. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jana-it was wonderful! A success! :) So was the rest of the party! Thanks for all your hard work. It wouldn't have come together without you! Can't wait to see your post about it all!
    (And your pictures of Snickers are so cute. What a companion!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...